Pre-Match Thoughts Sayville @Hauppauge
- The Mauriello family has been involved in numerous memorable events on the mats representing Section XI wrestling over the years.
- Nick’s County Championship in 2012 after coming back from a life-threatening MRSA illness.
- Chris’s 2014 New York State Championship and
- Danny’s memorable 2019 run, including 5 OT wins en-route to his NYS Championship. For the longest time, I always said to Nick, “At least you have another 4 years with Danny left,” I can’t believe how fast they went.
- But today I believe they will be involved in a match that has never been done before and may never be done again. Today Nick Mauriello Sr will be coaching Hauppauge as his son Chris will be coaching in the corner for Sayville, as Danny wrestles in the match.
- I don’t know of too many fathers vs. son coaching experiences in Section XI, The Patrovich’s, with Joe Sr coaching against Joe Jr, Mike or Ryan come to mind, but I can’t recall any father vs son while son/brother is wrestling in the match situations, I could be wrong, as I have been before.
- The Mauriello family has represented Section XI and the sport of wrestling like gold. It has been a pleasure to have observed them over the years, at times from up close other times from afar. But whether I observed from up close or from afar, they always exude class. They are what is so great about this sport. Family, Tradition, Hard Work, Success, Legacy.
Leave a Reply